Monday, February 14, 2011

For Real, I Mean It!

I squeezed the first two weeks of the C25K program into one week so that I would have exactly enough time to train for the very first (and only) 5K that I ever watched.  It was four years ago that I went to keep my sister company while her husband ran the race.  It was that day that my sister and I decided the next time we would run too.  The next winter I got through 4 or 5 weeks of the C25K program, but it was cold and I didn't have a treadmill, and when I started back up again in the spring, I hurt my knee and there sat another thing unchecked on my mental bucket list. 

I finished week 4 of C25K, and O-M-G was it hard, but I made it through.  I have a running (no pun intended) dialog in my head.....it goes like this, "You can do this, Meem!  If you can do this, you can do anything!  You can do anything for just five more minutes, four more minutes, three more minutes.....You want to quit cause it is hard?  Are you kidding me?  Seriously?  Keep going!  What hurts?  Nothing?  So why stop?  GO!"  Then I congratulate myself for not dying at the end.

I really do feel like if I can run three miles, if I can accomplish this one dream, that I can find a way to win this race called life.  When I make it through my first 20 straight minutes of running in just three more sessions, I will officially sign up for the race this weekend.  I can do this!

A few side notes:
  1. I have lost 11-1/2 pounds since January 1, and I feel so much better.
  2. After just 12 sessions of C25K, I have rediscovered that I actually have muscles.  My calves are firm    and show muscle definition!  Just a month ago, I could wobble them to and fro!
  3. I went to look at a house to rent.  It was a dump, literally, as in the toilet wouldn't flush.  But the point is, I stepped out of my box, past the just browsing on the Internet stage, called someone, and met them to look at the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment