Monday, February 21, 2011

Success Even In "Failure"

I said I would officially sign up for the 5K race if I successfully completed my first 20 minute run on Friday, my third day of week five of the C25K program.  Well.....I didn't sign up.  YET.  I considered not running at all on Friday because of the wind and I didn't think I could complete 20 minutes straight on the dreadmill.  In fact, I had already decided I was not going to run that day.  And then I gave myself a good shaking and changed my mind.  I gathered up the troops and we walked up to the track.  The wind on the second half of the laps made me feel as though I were pushing against a truck-in slow motion.  My two oldest sons and I made it through one straight mile, 12 minutes of running.  After the third lap, I told my oldest son to not let me quit until I reached a mile.  Somewhere along the line I had a moment of weakness and said "I suck"  To which my middle son replied, "No you don't, Mom!  Come on!  You have been doing this for seven weeks.  You are doing good!"  (He's wrong on the number, but I didn't correct him; seven sounded good at the moment.)  I finished the first full mile that I have ran since four years ago when I last tried the C25K program, and I felt amazing, proud, happy even though I didn't do the full 20 minutes.  We walked 1/4 mile, then ran another 1/4 mile before walking home.  I felt like I could have ran the full amount if the wind wasn't so mean.  I never broke through the one mile mark the last go round, but I will this time.  So, Thursday is my new sign up day for the race after I complete a full 20 to 25 mintues of running. I am considering signing my oldest son up to run along side me.  I think he would love it.  Looking forward to posting Thursday about my success!

No comments:

Post a Comment