Friday, July 1, 2011

Healthy Snacking for the Family

I have been concentrating a little more on making healthy eating a family affair.  I've been making small changes for all, while trying to toe the line of not being the food police.  My 13-year-old now weighs 2 lbs more than I do.  He is also 2  or 3 inches shorter.  He has a tummy and is self-conscious of this.  He takes anything I say regarding food personally, so I try to be very careful when addressing food.  I simply tell them ALL to think about what their body needs.  Today, I "caught" my 6-year-old eating an apple.  I said, "Good choice!  Your body thanks you!"  Next thing you know, my 10-year-old purposely walks by to show me he is now eating an apple too, looking for some positive reinforcement about his healthy choice.

It is hard for us adults to make healthy choices.  We have the knowledge of how healthy foods fuel our bodies.  We really can feel the difference energy-wise when we eat nutritious foods versus junk.  We feel guilt when we overindulge.  So for kids to make healthy choices when faced with an array of less than stellar treats, that has to be tough.  So I decided, no more chips, no more icecream, no more junk.  Fill the house with good foods and I will have to do less policing.  I asked them to make lists of healthy foods they would like me to buy.  I filled the snack cupboard with fun foods the kids love, granola bars, trail mix, Sunchips, peanut butter filled pretzels, and beef jerky.  I stocked the fridge with blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, kiwi, grapes, yogurt, string cheese, and carrots.  There is a bowl of apples and bananas on the counter.  I bought frozen yogurt and peach pops instead of icecream.  The fruit has mostly disappeared from the fridge.

Now....if only the little league baseball concession stand would offer healthy options.  The football concession stand has fruit cups, and they seem to sell really well.  We are at the field four to five nights a week.  After the game, a parent springs for snack for the team.  Last night my 13-year-old got TWO soft pretzels and a Bosco stick (cheese wrapped with dough and brushed with butter).  Ahhhh well, I won't sweat it.  This stuff is a part of childhood, and what I wouldn't give to go back to the mindset where food was simply fun and yummy and I didn't have a worry about my muffin top or flabby thighs.  I will just continue to do my best to instill healthy eating habits at home.

My 6-year-old's grocery list.  I love how he wrote gum, then crossed it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment