Friday, July 1, 2011

Social Summer Events = Maintenance.

There has been a lot of social buzz going on the last couple weeks, and it is making weight loss increasingly difficult.  You would think with bike rides, evening spent at the ball fields, weekends at the beach, and it being grilling season, it would be easier.  But the social events get me every time.  I just cannot resist temptation when in the company of good friends and family.....there was the weekend away, a father's day bbq, dinner and drinks with friends, a concert, fireworks in the park with the smell of elephant ears wafting.  Food is so much a part of entertainment.  I am training myself to not feel guilty for indulging within reason on these occasions, and most importantly not to let the indulgence carry over when the party is over and into the next day, and the next, and the next.......It is definately a struggle.

On the running front, I have been keeping up.  I love evening runs, but it is just too hard to squeeze them in, so I have been dragging my behind out of bed in the mornings.  When I finished the C25K program, I initially would run 2 miles twice a week and 3 miles once a week on a day that I was "feeling it."  After awhile, I increased my minimum run to 2.25 miles, then 2.5 miles, with one longer run per week of 3 to 4 miles.  Looking at my log, my last runs have been 3.09 miles, 3.15 miles, 4.29 miles, 2.5 miles, and 4.08 miles, and 2.5 miles.  I decided this morning to make my minimum run 3 miles from here on out.  FINALLY running about 5K on a regular basis, five months after I began running, not too bad I guess.

I'm working on these things I like to call my "flappers", my arms.  I am up to 10 push-ups, and hoping to increase to 15 this month.  I added a 10-lb hand weight and doing some tricep dips too.  The flappers are starting to look less wing-like, but I have a ways to go!

1 comment:

  1. it sounds like you and I are in a similar position. I'm exercising but with the lack of restraint with eating, I'm maintaining instead of losing. I need to change that though :)

    Good luck to the both of us! July is a NEW month for new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete