Friday, June 3, 2011

Cake Happens

Today, my oldest son turns 13.  I am the mother of a teenager!  A teenager?  How did this happen?  He was just a baby.  I'm excited for him.  I'm scared for me!

At first he said he wanted brownies for his birthday cake.  This pleased me because it gave me an excuse to try out a recipe I have been dying to try.  I told him to check it out and see if the recipe sounded good.  Well...the name of the brownies is "Knock You Naked Brownies."  I should have known better and just showed him a picture because the name changed his mind, and he asked me to make a strawberry shortcake cake instead.  Dang!  I really wanted those brownies.  But this cake is in my top three for favorite cakes, so I wasn't too disappointed.

I debated about whether or not I wanted to calculate the calories for this cake.  In the end, I decided I would, and now I wished I hadn't.  8,415 calories for the whole cake.  Thankfully, I can say I have never eaten a whole cake by myself before.  Now, I am not saying I couldn't, just that I haven't.  If I divide the cake into 12 slices 701 calories, into 16 slices 526 calories.  That is ALOT for a tiny slice of cake.  But I will eat a slice anyway because my baby only becomes a teenager once, and this is life, and cake happens.

You were probably wondering how something so virtuous as a strawberry shortcake could be so many calories.  This is no ordinary strawberry shortcake.  This is strawberry shortcake covered in a buttercream/cream cheese frosting, and it is amazingly delicious.  He was a 9 lbs, 12 oz when he was born; I deserve a piece of cake on his birthday every year for the rest of his life for giving birth to that giant!

2 comments:

  1. That cake sounds yummy but how much energy it has in it! I'm sure your son will appreciate it for all the work you've put in it. If he's anything like I was at his age, it'll be gone in 2 or 3 days and you won't have to worry about it tempting you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that way of thinking, it doesn't have a lot of calories, it has a lot of ENERGY! LOL I have three boys, and they had the help of family and friends in knocking that cake out. I had a small slice and it was amazingly delicious, so it was worth it. Anything that is amazingly delicious is worth the calories in a small portion, but I hate when I waste calories on a high "energy" mediocre food.

    ReplyDelete