Friday, June 3, 2011

American Beauty

I came across this ad for Body Shop on Facebook today.  It is a pretty powerful statement about the standard American beauty ideal.  Eight women have the genetics to look like supermodels.  Eight.  Yet we measure ourselves up to them.  WE do it, us women.  The men, sure they appreciate their beauty, but I think they see and love the beauty in all of the everyday women around them too.  Why are we so hard on ourselves?  This measuring stick, always comparing ourselves to other women.  My boyfriend told me I was beautiful twice last week.  He isn't overly flattering, so I remember.  But when he told me, I thought, "Ya right."  Maybe I should start believing the man who loves me; maybe I should start believing in myself; maybe we women need to start owning our beauty with grace.  I am 5 foot, 5 inches, 134 pounds, and sometimes I still feel FAT.  Ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment