Thursday, June 16, 2011

Imaginary Running Coach

With summer here, I am trying to figure out how to fit in my runs.  I'll preface this by saying I am not a morning person.  I repeat, I am not a morning person.  I was dropping my kids off at school, then running from 8:30 to 9:00, hop in the shower, arrive 10 minutes late to work at my home office.  Perfect!  I rolled over this morning at 7:00 and I asked myself, "Meem, are you going to get up and run before the kids wake up, or are you going to lie in this bed like a lazy slug?"  The answer was loud and clear, "Lie in this bed like a lazy slug."  But the guilt nawed at me and kept me from sleep, and so I got up and I ran.  I pushed it the first mile because I wanted to feel the strength of my body.  I'd look down at my legs and think, "WOW!  Look at what these legs do for me, they can carry me fast and far.  I am a runner!  I. Am. A. Runner."  It felt good, and then I got tired, and hungry, and I wanted my coffee.  I always have a cup as I am getting the kids ready for school before my run.  I sorely missed that coffee this morning.  My brain wanted to stop running, but I was at 1.5 miles, and I have a 2.25 minimum rule.  I got to 2.25 miles when I was still a quarter mile from home.  I thought about stopping, and then Coach Bobby popped into my head.  Coach Bobby is one of my sons' football coaches, my favorite one.  And suddenly Coach Bobby was my running coach.  I could hear him and the team chanting.
COACH:  Can't stop!
KIDS:  Won't stop!
COACH:  Want some?
KIDS:  Get some!
That mantra pushed me the last 1/4 mile home, directly to my coffee pot.  Running, exercise for the mind, pushing farther than your brain wants to go.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm my own coach too when I run. I pep talk myself when I'm feeling unmotivated or half-assing my workout :)

    Good for you for pushing yourself!!! I always feel amazing after a good workout!

    ReplyDelete