Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Smile Through The Miles

While running today, I thought of the day I ran five miles a couple weeks ago, about how during that run I could not stop smiling and that the whole five miles felt easy.  I am sure the cool weather that morning had some influence on my ability that day.  I went into that run with a positive attitude, thinking this day I was going to run strong, this day I was going to run far, this run was going to be a great one, and I smiled the whole way.  I occasionally tried to force myself to stop because I am sure I looked silly running the streets of my city with a huge smile across my face, but that smile just kept creeping back up on me.  About halfway into my run today, I thought about that smiling day and wondered if maybe I wasn't smiling because it was easy, that rather the smile itself helped to make the run easy.  I decided to break out the grin to test the theory, and once it was out, I couldn't put it away.  The smile helps make running easier.  The smile helps make all tough things a little easier.  I will try to remember this :0)

2 comments:

  1. What a cute picture! I've never tried to smile to make the run go easier. This I gotta try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it is as effective for you as it is for me! For me, running is just as much a mental exercise as a physical one, so the :0) helps.

    ReplyDelete