Friday, June 17, 2011

"Mom, I think you have a problem...."

My six-year-old comes up to me yesterday evening, and says, "Mom, I think you have a problem, a popcorn problem, and it is not healthy."  After getting a good laugh, I explained to him that popcorn is healthy, that is a whole grain.  He said, "Yes, the POPCORN is healthy, but not that stuff you put on it."  What stuff?  "Butter!"  Uh-oh, the boy is smarter than I thought LOL  Who does this little Toaster Strudel eating little boy think he is lecturing me on nutrition?  I explained that our body needs a little bit of everything, and fat is one of the things it needs to work properly.  But he DID get me thinking, maybe next time I will swap a tablespoon olive oil in place of the butter..

His lecture stems from summer arriving this week, and me having the kids make lists of healthy foods that they would like to snack on, and telling them they need to think about what their body needs, a piece of fruit or Popchips, which would make their body happier and stronger.  He is my healthiest eater and often chooses fruit over icecream, so this conversation was more geared toward my older two.

I have been eating popcorn four or five days a week since I discovered that you can make your own all-natural popcorn without a pot or a machine, just a brown paper bag and a microwave, I have been addicted to the stuff.  How did I live 34 years without knowing this?  Is this Pop Secret's secret?


4 comments:

  1. Your 6 y/o is adorable! I love that your children are learning healthy nutrition at an early age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need the directions for that brown bag and popcorn/microwave thing please ... do you put anything else in the bag ..

    Also, I always thought Olive Oil was the better choice for all the oils but when I took a course at the hospital with diabetes, they nurse said Canola Oil is the better choice ... thought to share...

    If you look in the island where they sell microwave popcorn they have toppings you sprinkle on like butter, cheddar and so so on ... they are favorable and low low calorie if any...

    Your little boy sounds like a cutie.... enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. He is cute if I do say so myself. You just take a brown bag, put in 1/4 cup of popcorn kernals, fold the top down once, secure with a piece of tape, and put it in the microwave until it stops popping, 3 minutes, 30 seconds for my microwave. You can add oil if you like, but you do not have to. Sometimes I like to put parmesan on it, or cinnamon, splenda, and salt, but lately I have been in a straight up butter and salt mood.

    ReplyDelete