Thursday, April 28, 2011

Self-Bias...Rationalizing Our Own Mistakes

I was going to start this out by saying that I have been off track this week *because* I have been stressed, *because* it was Easter, *because* it was my son's 10th birthday, but on my four minute ride home from my sons' school this morning, I caught one minute of a radio show.   The radio psychologist said that when we make mistakes, we say to ourselves is okay *because* <insert rationalization here>, but when someone else messes up, we don't give that person the same leeway, we say they messed up because they are inadequate, ignorant, weak, stupid, bad with money, irresponsible, etc.  The topic was self-bias, and I only heard 45 seconds of it, so I didn't hear the conclusion, but I am sure it was that we should take on more personal responsibility for our own mistakes, while being more forgiving of others at the same time.

So, I messed up.  I enjoyed Easter moderately going about 500-700 calories over my normal allotment.  Food is part of family holiday gatherings and I have no guilt for that.  Then Tuesday came and I had a bout of stress eating and went 192 calories over.  I wasn’t pleased with myself, not so much because I thought 192 calories was going to affect my health efforts, but because I ate about 1000 calories in a moment of stress, displaying lack of self-control.

Then there was yesterday.  My 10-year-old and I made a homemade key lime pie for his birthday.  Another one of life's cannot be missed moments, eating pie with my baby on his birthday.  It would truly disappoint him if I did not partake.   I tried to make room for the pie in my daily calories.  That was my first mistake.  It is not easy to make room for a 500 calorie dessert when you are eating 1195 calories a day.  I had 200 calories of fruit and almonds for breakfast.  I made a beautiful 230 calorie salad of chicken, romaine, sunflower seeds, parmesan, strawberries, and pineapple with raspberry vinaigrette for lunch.  It was delicious and nutritious, and would have been satisfying, had their been a sourdough roll with pat of butter along side.  Oh, how I miss Panera!
Then.....I went to a skating rink hungry, knowing I wouldn't be home for another 4+ hours (mistake #2).  I had two slices of pizza, one Bosco stick dipped in nacho cheese, and half a small frozen coke.  Then we went to baseball practice where I ate another PB egg.  Why in the world did I buy those AFTER Easter?  Because they were on clearance, that’s why (mistake #3).  We went home and instead of just the planned pie, I said what the heck, why not to ice-cream too (mistake #4).  By then it was 9 o'clock, and I had a raging headache.  I laid on the couch and feel asleep.  I never do that!  I woke up an hour later and felt so crummy that I thought I must be getting sick.  It didn't occur to me until today when I woke up feeling fine, that it was probably the effects of all that junk food. 

So, I made several food mistakes yesterday and was not going to even bother tallying up the numbers for the first time in four months, but then I did.  2,270 total calories for the day, 1076 over budget.  Not good, but in the grand scheme of things, not too bad, slightly over maintenance level.  I messed up for a few days there, but I am back, taking responsibility and moving forward.
I must say the homemade key lime pie with real whipped cream was worth every calorie.  The rest of the junk, not so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment