Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Thrill of the Hunt

I have been on a hunt for two things lately....well three, if you count the waffle iron.  I don't know why, but I am obsessed with buying a waffle maker, but keep holding back for fear the backs of my thighs will resemble waffles.  Maybe they already do; I try not to look.

The other two things I have been looking for are a sports bra and running shorts.  I had tried on at least 50+ bras, and nothing felt right.  I had settled on one a couple months ago, resigned to the fact that I would have to wear two bras to contain the bounce.   Without high expectations, I tried one on today, and it was like magic!  It went on easy, it felt good, the girls were contained, no bounce when I jumped, and it was $12.99!  Eureka!  I have found the perfect bra for me, a seemingly impossible feat!

I have been looking for a pair of Nike two-in-one shorts that have a boy short underneath.   They are offered online, but I really didn't want to pay $40 plus shipping for a pair of shorts that I hadn't even tried on.  So, I looked at Dicks, Dunhams, Kohls, JCP, Sears, Sports Authority, and finally a Nike outlet to no avail.  Hmmmm, all that time and gas certainly would have covered the $40+ AND I would have the shorts in hand.  Then finally, I came across a pair of New Balance shorts at Marshalls for only $16.99, regular $40.   I had all three boys with me, so I couldn't try them on.  No worries, I thought.  I have tried on enough running shorts in my quest to know that I am a comfortable medium.  I brought them home and I nearly totally filled out the elastic waistband with not much give left.  Bummer!  I was gonna need a large in these.  I look inside the tag to double check that they are a medium, not a small, and I notice that the tag has sizes for a handful of different countries.  Apparently, US and Brazil are the only countries that want to encourage chubby runners with generously sized mediums.  Every other country sized the shorts as a large, with the exception of one country, Japan sized them as an extra-large.   WHAT?  That is reason number two, right behind earthquakes, why I am glad I do not live in Japan.  If these little tiny shorts, smaller than all the other mediums I tried on, were considered extra-large, then Japan is not the place for me!  In the end, I returned those medium/extra-large shorts and exchanged them for a large/XXL, and wouldn't ya know it, the large is much too LARGE.  The compression short underneath has no compression and the waistband has to be tied tight to fit right.  Back to square one, but HEY at least I got the bra right!

Here are the shorts in a size medium.  I feel so badly for the women of Japan who aren't blessed with a teeny-tiny body and have to wear a size XL at a weight we consider healthy and normal here in America. How depressing that would be.

2 comments:

  1. This post reminds me I need to pick up some new exercise gear! I have a Nike Outlet near me that has those 2-layered running shorts. I LOVE THEM. I only have 2 pairs and I want to pick up more. I need more sports bras too.
    Congrats on getting a good bra! Your last sentence resonates with me because as an Asian, I'm huge in my country still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that people are naturally smaller structured in the Asian countries, but I also know there are probably quite a few 5' 5" 140# people there who aren't thrilled to have to wear an XL!
    About those shorts....another reason I haven't bought them yet is because on on the Nike site the undershort looks to have a 6 inch inseam, about 2 inches longer than the outer short. But on Zappos the undershort is smaller and unseen, like in my NB shorts. So, which is your experience with the Nike shorts? I am hoping they are longer. That would make them worth the $40 for me.

    ReplyDelete