Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 10 Dessert for Breakfast

252 page views in one day?  I usually get a couple.  So, how does that happen?  Who the heck is reading this dribble?  Strange.

My secret to fitting in dessert?  Eating it as a meal for breakfast.  Works like a charm.  When I think of my perfect breakfast I think of Meemaw's chocolate pie.  Mmmmm.  Technically, I guess a muffin is breakfast food, but when it includes chocolate chips and brown sugar crunch topping, I put it in the dessert category.  I can't decide if I am happy or sad those muffins are gone, but one thing is for sure, I will be making them again. They are too good not to share, but I already have four kids I have to share with, so make your own!

BREAKFAST:  Banana muffin, strawberries.
LUNCH:  2 chicken and fruit salad roll ups, sweet potato fries.
DINNER:  2 chicken soft tacos.
SNACK:  You guessed it, air popped corn with 1 T of real butter.

BANANA CRUMB MUFFINS (ADAPTED FROM RECIPE ON ALLRECIPE)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 tsp cinnamon

  • 3 bananas, mashed

  • 1/2 cup white sugar

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

  • 1 egg, lightly beaten

  • 1/3 cup butter, melted

  • 1 tsp vanilla

  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

  • TOPPING INGREDIENTS

  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar

  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1 tablespoon butter

  • Directions

    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
    2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter, vanilla and chocolate chips. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
    3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
    P.S.  I never, ever bother with using seperate bowls for wet and dry ingredients.  First I mix all the wet, then add the dry ingredients minus the flour and incorporate them well, then add the flour at the end to avoid overmixing.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment